ETC members - Information
Address: Promenade 39
State: Upper Austria
Postal code: 4020
Phone: +43 (0)732 76 11 0
Landestheater Linz | Musiktheater - Schauspielhaus - Kammerspiele
Since 1803, the talk of the town in Linz has been Promenade 39, the hot spot for performing arts. Designed by Ferdinand Mayr in the style of the Theater an der Wien as one of the most beautiful box theatres, the "Landestheater", later called the Großes Haus (Large Hall, with 693 seats), opened with August von Kotzebue’s "Octavia". In 1957, the auditorium was rebuilt to become a gallery theatre according to plans by architect Clemens Holzmeister. Even today, the ceiling is decorated by Fritz Fröhlich’s fresco "Orpheus and the Animals".
Between 1956 and 1958, the Kammerspiele was constructed according to Holzmeister’s plans as a separate building facing Lessingstraße. The Kammerspiele is the main venue for theatre and offers 396 seats.
The Großes Haus, which was in the past used for the musical arts, was renamed over the course of the opening of the Musiktheater am Volksgarten (in April 2013) and is now called the Schauspielhaus. It has been refurbished since early summer 2015 and well be reopened on April 1st 2017 with William Shakespeares "The Tempest".
In April 2013, the grand opening of the Musiktheater marked the launch of Europe’s most modern opera house. The distinctive and spacious building was designed by London architect Terry Pawson. It
offers its visitors and guests the best possible views and acoustics with state-of-the-art stagecraft. Besides the centrepiece, the Großer Saal (main hall), which provides seating for up to 1,200 visitors, the BlackBox, BlackBox Lounge, Orchestersaal and FoyerBühne offer four additional, variable theatre venues.
The Landestheater Linz became a member of the European Theatre Convention during the General Assembly in Timisoara, Romania on April 17, 2015.
Our Theatre Sponsor: www.oddstake.com